How to create mobile learning
People are practically inseparable from their mobile devices! Recent research found that Americans check their smartphones 80 times a day—and start to get antsy if they go more than four hours without the device.
Companies are leaning into the use of mobile phones. If you’re looking to create online training, this is the perfect opportunity to embrace the mobile learning trend and empower your team with just-in-time information and the ability to build skills on the go.
So, how do you create mobile learning? Let’s go over some tips for creating a training course that someone can take on a mobile device—starting with the most important step of the process!
Choosing the right course creation app for mobile learning
Some apps make it really tough to create training courses that work well on mobile devices. So, you’ll save yourself a lot of time and effort by choosing carefully. There are two helpful criteria for sizing up any app you find:
- The training you create must work on any screen size. New mobile devices with different dimensions come out all the time, and your team will expect that they can use any smartphone or tablet to take your training course.
- You shouldn’t have to do a thing to make your training look and work great on mobile devices. If a course creation app requires that you adjust your online course to fit different screen sizes, steer clear.
With apps like Rise, you can create courses that work on any device automatically.
Content, navigation, and menus reflow or disappear to take advantage of all the screen real estate. And Rise supports gestures, so the learning experience feels really natural on any tablet or phone.
Considerations for mobile learning
Once you’ve found the right app, you can consider these quick tips for building training that addresses the unique needs of someone who is taking your course on a mobile device:
- Use video mindfully. Video is a great way to make your mobile courses more engaging since so many of us use our devices to watch video anyway. Just make sure you keep videos short and file sizes small so that folks accessing your course over a slow cellular connection aren’t wasting time loading lengthy videos.
- Choose images wisely. An illustration of highly detailed schematics can be a great teaching tool, but it’s tough to see on a tiny handheld device. Be sure to choose high-resolution images that are clear and easy to see. With Rise, folks on devices with smaller screens can zoom in on images with mobile gestures.
- Provide just-in-time resources. People on the go may take training from their mobile devices in a moment of need—right before stepping into a big meeting, for instance. Consider including resources such as performance checklists that folks can refer to, right when they need it.
Mobile learning should be easy! It should be easy for you to create and easy for your team members to consume. Using Rise and keeping a few simple tips in mind, you can make sure your audience has an exceptional learning experience. For a closer look at Rise and even more actionable tips, watch this webinar recording titled, How to Create Exceptional Mobile Learning.
Ready to create online training with Rise?
Rise makes online training easy to create, enjoyable to take, and simple to manage. Start your free, 30-day trial to see why it’s the online training system employees love. For more information, visit rise.com.